This is an incredibly refreshing drink made from the flowers of HIBISCUS plant. It is ideal for drink ups, snacking or anytime you feel like gulping down some chilled juice. What many people do not know is that, it has a lot of health benefits like lowering high blood pressure and it’s said to calms nerves!
Here’s how you make your own Hibiscus (SOBOLO) drink!
- 1 bag dried Hibiscus
- 10 cups water
- 1 to 2 cups sugar (sweeten to taste)
- 1 can of pineapples
- 2 medium sized fresh ginger crushed
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 5 fresh cut strawberries
- Wash hibiscus to remove any old leaves but be fast before the entire colour seeps out! That’s the main content of the drink.
- Place all ingredients except sugar in a tall pot. This is important as the mixture tends to froth and bubble up
- Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until the sepals looks whitish
- Turn off heat, cover and allow to steep for at least 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture and add sugar to taste
- Add ice cubes and start the fun!
NOTE : You can add more ginger and cloves for a more ‘spiced flavor’, to your taste. And if you want an alcoholic alternative, you can add some vodka to taste. Enjoy!!!